Tuesday, July 19, 2005

when kids go off to college or leave home

free web counter
Lerner Catalog Coupons

FLASH FICTION


Just Gone
By

RD Larson

© 2005 RD Larson

Word count: 200


He’s a grown man now, with children of his own. I’m moving so I’m looking through his old boxes. He says he doesn’t want any of it.

I'm moving to a smaller place, a place with less work. Those stairs, all those stairs, are just getting to be too much. Anyway, he is gone. He was a sweet baby and a wonderful child. He was so smart and with such a sense of humor.

He had a dark side too. When he was six, there was a school bus accident. He wasn't in the accident but he knew some of the kids that died. He talked about it for a long time.

He lives in another state with his wife and kids. They are pretty much out of my life. I rummage around in an old plastic kid's toolbox. I pull out some GI Joe toys, a few foreign coins, and a remnant of a baby blanket. I smell it. It smells just like him. His baby smell lingers, breaking my heart because I want him to be my baby again.