Thursday, July 21, 2005

I send my thoughts and caring to friends & family in the UK


free web counter
Lerner Catalog Coupons
I'm very sad that again there is pain and fear being used against the UK, friends and family there. I know how brave and strong you all are. My best love and hugs to each of you. I remember how I felt after 9/11 so remember we stand together in this.

Something happy to read:


K-9 Delivery
By
RD Larson

When I first joined the K-9 unit of the Bomb Squad, Annie was not happy with the idea of a dog in the house. She had never had a dog and didn't want one. I knew she would love the dog once it was ours.
Annie and I were expecting our second child. We were so miserable when the first baby didn’t survive to full term. We waited a long time to try again. Then it just happened. The doctor warned Annie to be extra careful so she was understandably anxious. I tried to do everything to make her happy. Except NOT to get my K9 partner. I stayed firm on that.
They finally selected my dog. I went to the squad room immediately. The first time I saw my dog, I inwardly moaned. She looked dumb sitting in the squad room with an empty look on her face.
"Hey, Mike, there she is," Bill Jennet said. He had been training bomb-sniffing dogs for 15 years; I trusted his judgment. The department used him exclusively. "She's a smart one but you'd never know it to look at her. Sort of looks slow on the uptake."
"Has she got a name?"
"Daisy, because she looks like she’s just picking flowers," Bill said. He
gave his big belly laugh that shook him all over exactly like one of his dogs shaking off water.
I laughed too. When I knelt down and took Daisy’s head between my hands, our eyes met. She didn't look away, just gave me steady gaze. I put her through her paces, pleased with her training. Soon we could transfer to the airport near where I lived.
I called Annie to tell her about bringing Daisy home. She sounded tired and impatient.
“I’m bringing my new K-9 home with me. Her name is Daisy.”
“I hope she’s not a bother.” Annie said, doubt in her voice.
"How about dinner at the Italian restaurant?” I asked her.
"Oh, Mike, just bring something home, I'm too tired. Anything," Annie said, with a sigh.
"You don't want to go to your Book Club tonight? Not even for an hour? You always say you like it."
Poor Annie. She was bored with sitting around yet her doctor wanted her to rest.
"Mike, I'm tired," she told me again and hung up. Like lots of husbands when faced with domestic decisions like what's for dinner, I bought a pizza and some vanilla ice cream for Annie. Daisy slept in the back seat as we drove home. Not a curious bone in her body, I thought to myself when she didn’t even try to smell the box.
She willingly followed me into the house. Annie was lying on the couch in her robe and didn't look like she felt good. She sat up when she saw Daisy.
"She's not very bright, is she?"
"She just looks that way. Don't hurt her feelings.” I laughed. “Her name is Daisy."
I walked over and sat down by Annie. Daisy came and sat down at my knee. Annie patted her on the head. Daisy paid no attention.
"Okay, Mike, fine. As long as she doesn't get you blown up or hurt the baby she can stay in the garage."
"Not in the garage, Annie. I want her in the house. If we're going to bond as partners we have to spend time together," I said slowly.
Annie started to cry.
"What about bonding with your wife? I'm just so big you don't feel like bonding with me," she wailed. I put my arm around her. We had gone to some parenting classes at our church and I knew how first time and even with later babies, mothers sometimes just felt like it was too much for them.
"I love you, Annie. I'll always love you. I’m thankful every day for you. Now we’ll have our baby. It’s a like getting double scoop of ice cream.” I kissed her pudgy, tear-streaked face and rubbed the back of her neck. Daisy moved forward and gently licked the other cheek.
Annie laughed, naturally scratching the dog's ears. I grinned as Daisy's big fluffy tail waved slowly.
We had dinner there on the couch, with Daisy getting all the meat off Annie's unwanted pizza slices. I warned her not to spoil my new K-9 but who could resist either one of them? They enjoyed ice cream together.
When we had gone to bed with Daisy asleep on the rug at the foot of the bed and Annie in my arms, I felt completeness in the circle of life.
Loud barking jolted him awake. Annie wasn't beside me! Daisy had her paws on the bed urgently barking at me. I stumbled into the kitchen.
Annie sat on the floor, doubled up with pain -- the vanilla ice cream carton dripped on the floor -- and I could see she was hemorrhaging.
"Why didn't you call me?” I told her reaching for the telephone on the wall.
"I did call you -- just now. I couldn‘t seem to breath." Annie looked up at me as Daisy sat near her.
As I watched Annie's fingers stroke the gold coat of the big dog, I dialed the number of the doctor and the ambulance. I wished I could take her to the hospital myself but the paramedics knew their stuff and could do better for her.
Some blood was seeping through the blanket. It bothered me; I’m naturally calm and have faith that things will work out. Nevertheless, when I saw so much blood I was scared.
I held Annie's hand. As Daisy and I followed the ambulance, I prayed. I called Annie's parents and her sister as soon as I had signed the paper work for admission. The ER nurse had taken Annie right in. My knees shook.
I started to do what I always do in a crisis. In my mind, I listed the possibilities and outcomes. I tried to stay calm but this was frightening me. My wife and baby had to survive!
When Annie's parents arrived, we hugged each other and huddled together in a corner of the waiting room. As hours lugged their weight on us, I realized that Daisy had probably saved Annie by waking me. I might never have heard Annie.
“I'm going out to give Daisy some water. I'll be right back." I told John. My father-in-law's face looked drawn. I patted his shoulder.
He said, "She‘s a strong woman and has a good doctor. Try not to worry."
I nodded.
When I got out to Daisy, she sat up. I took her for a quick walk and gave her a bowl of water. She had that “picking flowers” look. I laughed, cheered by the attitude of the dog. Maybe she knew what she was doing.
I returned to the waiting room feeling more positive and less stressed out. Soon the doctor came in the door, standing just inside.
"Mike?" He came toward me. I braced myself because of serious face.
"Annie is all right. She has had a tough time of it. Your son is three months premature and he's going to be in the neonatal unit for quite awhile. He only weighed three pounds one ounce. He has under developed lungs but we have every hope for him." The doctor paused to let it sink in.
My mother-in-law burst into tears. I could feel tears in my own eyes. John said, "What a kind of chance do you think the little guy has?"
"Pretty good, I'd say. Annie got here quickly and we have the best team of pediatricians looking out for the baby. Mike, Annie wants to see you. Just don't stay long. She's very tired," Dr. Grant said.
"I promise," I said. "Maybe Louise and John can see her? Can we see the baby?"
"Not just yet, maybe in a few hours." Dr. Grant started away. Then he turned. "Annie said your dog saved her and the baby. Sounds like your dog is the hero."
“She is,” I agreed.
I saw Annie for a few minutes; she was groggy and sleepy.
"I want to tell you two things, Mike," she whispered, grasping my hand. "I want to name him Gabriel and I want you to thank Daisy for saving us in time. Daisy was meant for us, Mike."
"I love you so much, Annie," I said as her eyes closed.
“Me, too,” she whispered.
Today Gabriel is a healthy three-year-old. He climbs on Daisy and feeds her doggy snacks. She loves him, too. Daisy is just as competent at her bomb-sniffing job at the airport as she is at her early warning delivery job. We’re having a new brother or sister for Gabriel just after the first of the year. I’m certain Daisy will be the first to know when the baby’s on its way.

The End

??????