Monday, July 25, 2005

Hornets are my enemy and I don't want them near me.

Hornet Control

They hum in a most unpleasant way. They crawl on me and in my food. They bite my dog and they bite me. The various proteins in their blood can make a person (or dog) sick. They do eat bugs. Fine, with me as long as they stick to bugs.

But today they met their match. I am tired of hornets up my pant legs, in my soda can and on my plate. And I am mad that they would bite my Zippy dog.

Oh, you should have seen us. He went up the ladder while I held the huge light. We were Hazard Control Warriors. You would have known that from our fashionable garb. Dressed in rainslickers with hoods, goggles and gloves we attacked the nest in the pitch of the roof.

We waited until dark. He used a spray from ten feet away. We use a spray that was only for hornets and wouldn't hurt other insects like honeybees and dragonflies. He sprayed the huge nest until it dripped. In the house poor Zippy howled, concerned I would be stung to death.
Not me. I'm tough.
We came back into the garage and took off our hazard warrior costume. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture for you. You'll just have to imagine it.
I sat down and held Zippy, explaining as best I could with a mouth full of ice cream that we'd done a good job. Of course, he had a tasty bit of vanilla ice cream in his own bowl.

So how was YOUR day? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz is not a comforting sound to me tonight. See ya' later.