Wednesday, July 13, 2005

.RDLarson Writer

free web counter
Lerner Catalog Coupons
FLASH:

Deep Purple
by
RD Larson

The silence of the forest surrounded them. They had been walking for hours, Timmy thought. He pulled his sister to her feet.

“We got to get home. Mom’ll be worried. She thinks there are bears out here.”

“Oh, poop-poop,” said Jenny just five years old. She didn’t think her seven-year-old brother knew much. He was just a boy. “I know where our house is. It’s just over there.”

“I think we’ve been there. I’m getting hungry. I want dinner.” Timmy frowned, his eyes looking solemnly ahead. "I've been looking for the path back to the house all afternoon."

“Don’t talk about it. I’m hungry for ice cream. I’ll cry if you say it again.”

“No, don't cry. You will drive me nuts then.” Timmy looked at her fiercely. Then he rubbed his thatch of brown hair.

Jenny thought he sound just like Mom. Her mouth puckered. Mom! She couldn’t help it and cried anyway.

They sat down on a log. Timmy patted her, trying to comfort her. But he knew they were lost. He worried that they'd never get home again, like kids who just disappeared. Like on the news.

Night was falling. Deep purple lay under the trees hiding all sorts of scary things. Timmy felt hot tears fill his eyes. Something rustled in the brush and he froze while his little sister stared at the trees.

“Hey, Timmy, Jenny!” Suddenly their dad’s voice thinly reached them through their tears. Soon they saw his big flashlight through the woods.

Jenny said, “Don’t tell I cried.”