Wednesday, March 2, 2005


Too Classy
By
RD Larson
©2005 RD Larson

If you've been reading my stories or my articles you know I like dogs. I have been looking for the right dog since Max died. Finally, we found another dog. My vet called to tell us that one of his clients was moving and did I want her dog?

The woman I talked to on the phone thought we were perfect to adopt her dog.

We got in the car and drove to her ordinary house in an ordinary neighborhood. She let us in and the dog out. I laughed. Of course, my being a dog person, the dog didn’t go far. She whirled around and came right back to me.

“She loves to run away,” said the woman in a matching pantsuit.

Fluffy and scruffy, the dog looked like a cross between a Terrier and a Poodle. She ran around like a demon and barked like one too. She even barked at the woman who seemed to be looking down at me.

I was in fact lying on the floor playing tug of war with the wild pup. The very doge she had said had been to obedience school any number of times and failed out. The dog that she said was aloof and afraid of strangers was trying to separate me from my leather purse. Finally, just because I weighed 90 pounds more than he did, he gave up. Sitting on my chest, he told me in dog talk that he thought I sure was cute. Then this dog said I was so smart. Licking me on my chin, Pudgie gave me doggie kisses.

The woman muttered, "Hrumpffft, on the floor, no less!"

My hair had come loose and was sticking out from rough play with the dog. I still thought I looked benevolent and full of fun. The hubby was even more spectacular. Quiet and charming as he is, I could tell she thought he was far too classy for me. Well the dog liked me. I thought nasty thoughts as I sneaked a dog cookie to the dog. I earned a dog kiss from Pudgie the Wild Terrier and Poodle crossbreed.

I was ready to take her now. However, trust me; I was going to change that stupid name to something smart like Ruby.

Still goofing with the dog, the woman began asking question of my husband. Up until then, she believed HE was perfect for the dog-daddy even if she had reservations about ME as dog-Mommy.

Where do you live? What kind of yard do you have? What kind of opportunities can you give my little Pudgie? Are you willing to spend the millions you do not have on this adorable dog? Those kinds of Patriot Act questions.

The sweet pup was ours until she found out we lived in the woods. I heard rather a lot about coyotes and bears before (UNBEARABLY) she said to us, nastily, "Well, you don't have a yard and I can't let Pudgie go to a home without a fenced yard."

I thought about smacking her a good one.

“Max live with us for fourteen years and he did NOT go out without a lead. I promise I will guard her with my life,” I told her, crossing my heart just to be sure.
“I’m sorry this isn’t going to work. You, you (pointing at ME) can’t have Pudgie.”
I think I might have said something rude. We got in the car without the dog.

I felt like a gutter ball at the bowling alley.

Okay, we went home and had an adult beverage on the deck. I was miserable, mad and sad.

"I don't want a dog."