Thursday, March 10, 2005

Malice Aforethought
By
RD Larson

Word count 1259
© 2005 RD Larson


My boss upgraded my flight from business to first class because I had done so well on my last presentation in New York. He wanted me to wow them again. I didn’t know if I could since I’d been high on a three martini lunch the time before. I got on the 3 o’clock flight expecting to sleep during the flight. It’s more harrowing to fly than it had been before 9/11 and I tried to suppress any troublesome feelings that I had. Actually, I’d been depressed for the last year or so.

It’s not easy to divorce after five years. It makes you feel like you didn’t try hard enough or that you hadn’t committed your whole self to your mate. I still missed Eva but didn’t long to see her anymore.

I dropped into my seat, checked my email on my laptop and left myself a note. I took out my newspaper and opened it. As I was shaking it out, a woman came on the plane and bustled along with packages and a carryon. I didn’t really look at her because I was folding my paper into manageable quarters. I’m a bit fussy, I know, but I like things neat.

As the plane taxied and became airborne, I read the latest information Bush had to offer up on Social Security. By the time I made enough to retire, I would likely be dead, I thought. I was glad now that we hadn’t had any kids, although that was one of the problems between Eva and me. She didn’t want kids and I thought I did. Then.

I glanced to right with a sudden intake of breath. I had not seen an actual movie star up close. I lived in LA but my life was not glamorous. I looked at the girl beside me. I’m sure I gawked. I had never seen anyone that beautiful in real life.

She had exquisite skin, sort of a honey gold, and her hair was a dark rich brown. She was talking into her cell phone. I couldn’t believe that I had not noticed her when she sat down. She seemed very young to me but I would guess that her age lay between 20 and 25.

Regretfully, I turned back to my paper. I had been taught not to stare.

When the steward brought drinks around she ordered a tomato juice and I had a scotch and water. After she took a sip, she half turned to look at me.

“Hi. I’m Taylor Rivers.”

“Hi. I’m David Ellsworth. Off to New York for a sales meeting.” I’m sure I mumbled. I mean, she WAS beautiful. Perfect teeth. High, high heels. Some kind of short little dress. I’m pretty old but I’m not dead.

“I’m an actress. Maybe you saw my show. It’s called ‘Mother Raised a Slob’ and its on cable Wednesday nights at 10 pm.” She smiled at me, right into my eyes and face -- it was engaging. I felt like I was in the presence of something or someone destined for power. Her charisma swept me like a hot wind. I noticed an older woman was staring at her. The steward was practically drooling.

“Not so fast buddy,” I said inside my mind to him. To her, I smiled broadly and said, “I’m honored to meet such a fine actress.”

Of course, I sounded like an a nerdy idiot. I couldn’t tell her that I hadn’t seen her show, could I? I never watched much television. Just crime shows. Now and then.

Two young girls came up and asked Taylor for an autograph. She signed it and said, “Okay, see you in the funny papers, kids.”

I laughed. “My dad use to say that.”

Taylor looked at me. Her dark eyes grew darker as she seemed to appraise my inner self.

“Any serious illnesses in your family? You know, like disease.”

“Not really, although my dad did die of heart disease but he never was able to stop smoking.”

“So how about your siblings?”

“Don’t have any. Why do ask?”

“I just want to know.”

She opened a notebook and wrote hurriedly, half turned from me. I thought that she was a little odd even though very stunning.

“I have to work myself now.” I opened my notebook PC and called up Jefferson and McKinney’s prospectus. I began to read it all yet again. I would swarm them with my information about their company tomorrow.

“I knew you’d be on this flight. David. That’s your name right? David Ellsworth?”

“How did you know? Why?” I looked at her. What was I? A sudden suspect.? “Why would you know anything about me?”

“When you’ve got power and money, you can find out anything about anybody,” she said. Her lips now looked ugly, puckered and twisted.

“So? What did you look me up for?” I felt a betrayal, an exposure and wanted know why this girl -- woman would want to find out anything about me.

“I just wanted to know more about you. Don’t go freaking out.”

“Look, I want to know. Damn it, I should know. You let it out,” I told her harshly. I signaled for another scotch. “You can’t just have people investigated.”

“Yes, I can and I do. Don’t get drunk. My attorney is sitting behind you. I’ll say you assaulted me.”

“What! Are you nuts? Where’s this come from? Look I’m a forty-year-old sales representative. I lead a quiet life. What’re you trying to do?”

“UMmm,” said Taylor WhatEVER-her-name was. She cast her eyes down to my lap. Then she looked up at me as the steward walked by again. He was looking up her dress. I could tell. From the tilt of his head. I’m seriously glad she’s not my kid. Glad Eva and I didn’t have any kids.

“Buzz off, honey. I just got away from one like you,” I snarled. I turned my head to stare out the window. More angry than I’d been in years, I grimaced as my stomach bucked in rebellion to the burn of the scotch and the tease of the so-called actor.

“Wait . . .”
“Look, girls like you are all over LA. I don’t care what you think you’re doing, princess. I’m just fine; you can’t do anything to me or with me.”

She laughed, low and sweet. “I already did.”

I leaned back and closed my eyes. I wished she’d fall out of the plane. What was it with her? I kept my eyes closed.

“Remember in 1980 at UCLA you were in a study? About genetics? About how bright babies are composites of more than just their parents? You left sperm samples.”

I looked at her, the light bulb coming on. I swore out loud.

“Yep. Guess what? It’s an old sperm; I wasn’t born until ‘84. Don’t get crazy. You got nothing to do with it. It’s mine. I just wanted to see you. Kind of malice aforethought. I wanted to find out about you. I believe you shouldn’t put something in your body if its not healthy.”
I think I must have looked like I’d seen a demon from hell.

Don‘t worry; you won‘t be in my life or the baby‘s.” She bounced out of her seat, and careened to the back of the plane.

Oh, God, what will I do? What can I do? Nothing, I decided in a split second. It has to be a joke or it’s a scam.