Tuesday, March 29, 2005

new blog flash story



Absolutely Gutted
By
RD Larson
©2005 RD Larson
Tied high in the tree, the swing’s rope was so long that I had to lean back to see the knot. There was even a huge rock to use a jump. The swing would arch out over an old wet ditch. I knew about the ditch. I played with the frogs and salamanders there.
I jerked hard on the rope. Old ropes rot. Who had made this swing? I looked around for telltale signs like footprints or gum wrappers. Nothing. Pulling the swing behind me, I climbed onto the rock. The drop was going to be something. I could see across ditch from up here. . If I bailed out at the height, I could land on grassy round fairy circle
I pushed back as far as I could on the rock and raised my feet.
The swing went forward fast. Then the drop. I nearly fell at the jerk. Then out. Out. Near and nearer the grassy fairy circle. I turned my hands backwards and jumped for all I was worth.
Then I saw the spikes planted a foot apart, dozens of them. Ready to kill me. I knew I would be absolutely gutted

end