Monday, March 7, 2005

Reflection
By
RD Larson


© 2005 RD Larson
360 WORDS

The late summer sun flowed inside a living room in a California house. An older, attractive woman sat on an expensive sofa. A tall spare man with silver hair stands across from her. They both had glasses of dark red wine.


"I'm a goddamn television joke. He's made me a goddamn joke," Marla stammered, "I'm furious. I should sue him. I can't believe I deserve this. What can I do?"


"Oh, honey, he's a kid. He's not thinking about you. You need to accept that he's just writing a television show. It's not about US. It's a comedy. He's in the thick of his career."


"You make it sound like he's dead. He has only gotten a job. Finally. But writing about an IRRESPONSIBLE OAF -- why did he do that? It's a reflection on me. I want to die. I want to be dead. People think I raised him to throw food on the floor. And his girl friend! Lazy cow. She makes him live like a pig. I can smell sweat clothes when I go over there. Who wants to watch reality TV about dirty people?" Marla got purple in the face.

Bob said, "Look, he's making good money and he likes it . . ."

"You are a dumb old fool. Men don't understand anything!" Marla furiously slapped the arm of the brocade sofa on pronouncement of each word. With a slip of the wrist, she dropped her wine glass into her lap. The red stain covered the crotch of her white knit pants . She jumped to her feet and staggered. "Holy crap, now look what you made me do? I thought I was finished with my period ten years ago."

Bob couldn't keep from laughing as Marla stomped off toward the bedroom. Boy, was she pissed off! He hoped he could calm her down before Max came over with Tara the slob girlfriend. They were going to a dinner house and he didn't want another scene over the highly rated show.

"They shouldn't have called it "My Mother Raised a Slob." He shook his head, still chuckling to himself.