Tuesday, August 22, 2006


WRITER @Large with flash BLOG

Have you been thinking about the victims of Katrina? Not that much any more? Me either. Shame on us. Shame shame on us. There are still thousands and thousands of people suffering and it doesn't seem like much is being done to help them. Watch this documentary on HBO. You have to, you simply have to do it. I couldn't watch all of it but I will. I couldn't watch because my heart was hurting for those folks, those suffering folks, the ones we see in the film and all the ones we don't see. They could be our brothers or sisters, our mothers and fathers. They are our families, just as sure as this is our planet and our nation. We must do more, demand more and pray for more for those who have lost so much. I tell you that the woman who died in the dome could have been my own mother; when I saw her sitting there, dead, in a wheelchair, a blanket over her head -- I knew it could have easily been my own mother. This is what I thought when it was happening on CNN. The horror of the storm is truly the aftermath, the indifference to the people who suffered and are still suffering. I think Spike Lee has done a great and beautiful tribute truth-telling with this film. I hope it makes us all closer and makes us all reach out to our brothers and sisters -- the family of mankind.

Watch:
When The Levee Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts, on HBO Aug. 21-22 (Part 1 and 2), at 8 p.m. The whole four hours will be shown in its entirely on Aug. 29, at 7 p.m. http://www.hbo.com/

READ MORE; LEARN MORE: http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whentheleveesbroke/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_text