Thursday, February 10, 2005

I forgot. It's another one on that website, but to make it up to you here's new one from the Erle and Stumpy stories:

14 February 1980,

Dear Carla:
I know I haven't written for a long long time. It's been hard just to work and keep on as though nothing has happened to Erle. I know that you finally married that guy you kept going out with during college. During the times when Erle wouldn't have anything to do with you or when you didn't want him around.
No one could say that the two of you have had an easy time of it. I think after he saved your life at Dream Lake, he felt as if you owed him love. I think that you felt the same way. I was so young at the time that I couldn't see the difference between that and real love.
Of course, after you went to college and he stayed here working down in Paxton, he got to know some other girls. They were the kind of girls that liked guys like Erle. You know, tough guys, the kind who fight and drink. I remember that time when you came to me crying because Erle wouldn't go see you in that play the first year you went to Ol' Miss. I felt so proud of you and I wanted you to know I cared, but having me there didn't mean the same to you as having Erle in the audience watching you.

One time Erle told me, "Don't ever get to close to your Dream Girl because the minute you do that, the girl turns into a grabby bitchy whore. Once they get their fangs into you, you're full of poison about yourself and what you mean as a man."
I knew why he felt that way, what with his mother screwing around all the time. But he couldn't seem to get over it. Lots of times, he'd ask me if I'd heard from you or if I'd seen you. I always told him the truth. He never could figure it out that it was him you pitied not me. He never thought we'd be a couple.
When you did go out with me, it was so sweet. I know you know I wanted more but just couldn't see me in that light. It was okay, Carla. I've always felt blessed just to know you.
I guess you've read the papers and know that Erle has gone to an institution. They said he was criminally insane. I don't think so but all the crap that happened to him spewed out after he accidentally shot his Mom. He doesn't scream any more, you'll be happy to hear that. They drug him there and he's in sort of an awake coma.
If you ever want to get together for old time's sake, just come by the house on Bonner Street. I still live there with Erle's truck in the garage waiting for him to come home. I work out at the old steak house. It's a job, but I like it well enough.
I miss our talks. I'm alone now that my mom has passed. It took so long for the cancer to take her that I nearly died myself. Please, Carla, come by to see me.
I miss you.
Your old friend,
Stumpy.