Saturday, February 12, 2005


Posted on Sunday, January 30 @ www.BeWrite.net
Fire
By
RD Larson

(approx. word count) 147

Night. Alone with fear.The log on the fire exploded from a captured pocket of water. I jumped and half arose. I lay near the warmth, dreading sleep. I knew what came out when it got dark, when the fire died.

I would stay awake all night to keep them from entering my cave. I am human, naked. They are carnivores, hungry, armed with teeth and claws.

I have fire. I tug another log over to the pit. I tried to remember if I had eaten during the daylight. A few grubs. Best, I had found a young willow tree. I chewed the willow twig, feeling my eyes grow heavy as the pain abated.

The torn calf muscle oozed less blood now. If I could just keep the fire going, I might live another day.

The End
RD Larson © 2005