Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Beyond Me
By
RD Larson

Built in 1850 St. Mary's Cemetery sat there, gray as the dead, and just as dismal in the rain. Many of the old graves had sunken. I stumbled. The tangle of weeds threatened to pitch me against a leaning headstone. It was beyond me to find a sane reason for Tino to insist that I meet him here.

I am such a fool; I ragged on myself. No, I am a guilty sinner. Here I am, traipsing around in a dark after a married man who had no future to offer me. I knew how stupid it was to get "involved" as they say with a man like Tino. I knew better. He simply seduced me with charm.

I stumbled and dropped my purse. As I bent to pick it up, I read the headstone. The black letters against the wet marble that caught my sudden choking attention. I gasped out loud.

Tino grabbed me by the arm as I slipped in the grass and muck. I could smell his cologne and felt the rough wool of his damp jacket. In stark fear, I collapsed against him.

"There, there, darling, don't worry." His voice swept over me. I relaxed as he could calm me as only he could.

"Look, look at that headstone," I cried out, pointing in the glare of the flashlight.

"Oh, I know. Isn't it funny? I knew you'd laugh. That's why I wanted you to meet me here." Tino's hand closed on my arm. He tilted my rain-stained face up to meet his laughing face.

"Why is my name on that headstone?" I demanded, arching back to look up into his dark Gypsy eyes
end

Posted by Hello