Friday, September 2, 2005


I remember going to New Orleans and the joy the people there had. Laughing and eating, rich and poor, together, black and white and people from Nebraska. Some locals -- some tourists. I had a wonderful time. We do need a hero. I kept saying, "The idiots. Why don't they airdrop pallets of water and MREs? This is crazy. Those people are in bad shape." It's like the ones in charge never heard of night vision goggles, or tanks or helicopters or amphibious vehicles such as the Gama Goat. And the people that took food, water, and clothes? Those stores were ruined anyway. I don't blame them for some of the looting. I saw one woman clutching a baby and carrying away disposable diapers. And people who are desperate will drink and fight when they feel that only death without honor is in their future.There were things that happened that could have been prevented. I kept thinking what if was my old Mama, dead in a wheelchair, with the blanket I gave her, thrown over her dead head, what if? what if? Such a sight I will remember forever. I don't believe we should be disrespectful of anyone, living or dead, but what else could the victims do? There is "big" concern and efforts today, thanks to media coverage, but we all know it should have happened the NEXT day after Katrina struck, as the levees were failing. (What happened to the money that had been earmarked to shore up those levees?) Shame on those public and elected officials who wrote off the people who didn't evacuate. Some people don't have cars or means to go elsewhere. It costs money or credit cards. I can't believe they didn't try to bus them to safety or something before such a catastrophe. It's like I've woke up in a third world country. These are my people; help them because you are my elected government.

I have helped and I will do more. But you are right, my dear friend, where are the leaders, the American Heros, like our founding fathers? This is no time for politics. Action should have occurred sooner.

© all work copywritten by RD Larson 2005