Sunday, August 22, 2004




Sudden Death
by
RD Larson

Part 4


“Do you know these guys?” Marion waited for Chance to respond. The guy was obviously SO in love with this girl. He looked to be about 25 and had a under-the rock-look. “Hey, Shit-head, answer me. I asked you if you knew the guys?”

Sometimes a little prod with the old foot gives a person the will to talk. So I kicked him a bit. He looked up, temper making his face flush.

“No but I saw them around,” Chance told me, still kneeling with Zoë on his lap. “They came into the shop last week.”

“And what shop would that be?” Marion was getting cranky since he could hear the sirens and wanted to talk to Heap before he heard it on the radio. “Quick, Chance.”

Harley’s Hogs, at the corner of Milltown and Verna out in the south part of downtown. I work there sometimes.” Finally, the boyfriend had caught on to the fact that Marion eould and could kick his butt all over the place.

“You go to the hospital with her. Stay there. I’ll be around. You leave, you won’t like me so much any more,” Marion said bending over and looking at Chance. When Chance gave a slight nod Chance, he bolted to his car.

As he passed the ambulance he gritted his teeth and grabbed his phone. Dialing with his thumb he got 45th Street station.

“Let me talk to Heap, okay? Right now.”